Free NAADAC Webinar
A Recorded Webinar
As of January 2023, registration and CE quiz and Certificate access for the NAADAC Free Webinar Series are available in the NAADAC Education Center
. Click here
to learn about the NAADAC Education Center
Recorded on May 18, 2016
Offering treatment for family and friends of addicts is imperative to recovery for all. We know addiction to be a family disease and efforts are certainly made to provide services for everyone. But often the family services are limited in time and resources. They are also limited because family members can be difficult to engage in treatment for themselves. This webinar will use a power point presentation that I designed for the session participants to use directly with their clients. The power point presentation is actually an electronic booklet entitled “Your Healthy Self: Skills for Working with Codependent Behaviors” and is available to all, free on the internet through my website: www.nancyljohnston.com. Anyone attending the webinar can use this already-available booklet as the webinar occurs. This webinar is intended to equip the treatment practitioner with a program applicable to anyone dealing with issues of loss of self in others, focusing on practical, behavioral ways to define codependency, visual tools to enhance understanding and recovery, and four specific areas of skill development “Illusions, Detaching, Boundaries, and Spirituality.” It is especially designed for use by clinicians working with family members affected by addiction and/or those working with individuals in recovery from addictions who are engaged in more advanced phases of their recovery. With this electronic booklet as the text, this webinar will both educate clients about codependent behaviors as well as help them learn skills to manage their tendencies to take care of, please, manage, control, and/or fix others. It is packaged in a way so as to offer both clinicians and clients, whether individually or in groups, as much information as possible within a reasonable amount of time. I have come to define codependency as over-functioning in someone else’s life and under-functioning in our own life. To this end, the skills taught in this workshop can help the individual with codependent behaviors find a healthier balance in care of self and others.
- Learn an organized way to educate clients about codependent behaviors and healthy management of those behaviors.
- Help clients understand the importance of a healthy self.
- Learn four visual tools to cultivate a healthy self.
- Learn skill sets in four areas which can help to cultivate a healthy self: Facing Illusions, Detaching, Setting Healthy Boundaries, and Developing Spirituality.
Education is FREE to all professionals
Earn 1.5 Continuing Education Hours (CEs)
To earn a CE Certificate for viewing this webinar, you must view the webinar in its entirety, pass the CE quiz, and complete the online survey evaluation.
- Upon completing the webinar, you will have access to the CE quiz within the course you are taking. Find the CE quiz in the NAADAC Education Center and click “purchase.” NAADAC members will be prompted to register for the CE quiz for free, while non-members will be prompted to pay a $20 processing fee to access the quiz.
- A score of 80% or higher is required to pass the CE quiz and access your CE certificate. You have 10 opportunities to pass the quiz. If you are unable to pass the quiz in the allocated number of tries, then you must retake the course.
- Upon passing the CE quiz, you will be required to complete the survey evaluation for the course. Once that is completed, your CE certificate will be immediately available in your account in the NAADAC Education Center to download and print. All certificates will be stored in the NAADAC Education Center under your profile name. Click here for detailed step-by-step instructions on how to access your CE quiz and download your CE certificate.
Click here for a complete list of who accepts NAADAC continuing education hours.
This webinar is NOT eligible for ASWB ACE CE hours or NASW CE hours.
Nancy L. Johnston, MS, is a Licensed Professional Counselor and Licensed Substance Abuse Treatment Practitioner in private practice in Lexington, VA. With 38 years of clinical experience, Nancy is an American Mental Health Counselors Association Diplomate and Clinical Mental Health Specialist in Substance Abuse & Co-Occurring Disorders. She has authored two books on codependency published by Central Recovery Press: Disentangle: When You've Lost Your Self in Someone Else (2011) and My Life as a Border Collie: Freedom from Codependency (2012). Over the past 10 years Nancy has presented at numerous conferences including the Cape Cod Symposium on Addictive Disorders, the Carolinas Conference for Addiction and Recovery, Addiction: Focus on Women, the Virginia Summer Institute for Addiction Studies, the American Mental Health Counselors Association Annual Conference, and the Virginia Counselors Association Annual Conference. She also offers skill building trainings for codependent behaviors to the general public at her center in Lexington, VA and has created and facilitated 19 Codependence Camp retreats held in Abingdon, VA.
Who Should Attend
Addiction professionals, employee assistance professionals, social workers, mental health counselors, professional counselors, psychologists, and other helping professionals that are interested in learning about addiction-related matters.
Questions or comments about NAADAC Education? Take a look at our Webinar FAQs or email NAADAC.
Click here to learn about the NAADAC Education Center.
This presentation is for individual use only and may not be reproduced without permission from NAADAC.