The William F. "Bill" Callahan Leadership Award recognizes an addiction professional who has demonstrated leadership at the local or state level within the profession and a sustained mission to increase awareness of addiction, and advocates for prevention, treatment, and recovery support.
Any NAADAC member in good standing may nominate an individual for this award, which is selected by the NAADAC Awards Committee. Current members of the NAADAC Executive Committee are ineligible for this award.
To be given this award, the nominee must:
The nomination period is now closed.
- have a minimum of fifteen years in the addiction counseling profession or related profession;
- demonstrate leadership within the profession for a sustained period of time;
- demonstrate a sustained mission to increase awareness of addiction and/or advocacy for prevention, treatment, and recovery;
- demonstrate the encouragement of other addiction counselors and allies to promote prevention, treatment, and recovery support;
- be an active NAADAC member in good standing (i.e., the individual must be a voting member as opposed to an honorary member); and
- have demonstrated to the satisfaction of one's peers full compliance and support of NAADAC's Code of Ethics.
To nominate an addiction professional for this award, please submit:
- a letter of nomination explaining how the nominee fulfills the eligibility requirements and the spirit of the award;
- at least three letters of support from three different sources (e.g., individuals, organizations or agencies) (Please note that these three letters must be from sources other than the nominator.);
- the nominee’s resume; and
- a completed Award Nomination Form.
Submissions may be sent by email to [email protected] (preferred) or by mail to:
NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals
ATTN: Awards Committee Chair
44 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 301
Alexandria, VA 22314
Deadline: All award nominations much be received by July 31, 2021 for consideration.
Please note that award winners will be asked to submit a short video acknowledging their award for use by NAADAC on the NAADAC website, social media accounts, and other marketing materials. The award will be sent to an address provided by the awardee.
For additional information, please contact Kristin Hamilton, JD, at [email protected] or 703.741.7686 x131.
Past Award Recipients
2020 David Semanco, MS, MAC, CAADC, CSAC, CAC-AD (Woodbridge, VA)
2019 Keith H. Liles, LCDC, ADC III, ICADC, NCAC II, (Houston, TX) and William Heran, PhD, LCSW, (Media, PA) (co-recipients)
2016 Donald “Frank” Davis (Rosenberg, TX)
2015 Peter Crumb, MEd, CAC (Belchertown, MA)
2013 David “Mac” Macmaster, CSAC, TTS (Middleton, WI)
2010 Eric Martin, MAC, CADC III, CPS (Portland, OR)
2007 Carole Colleran (West Palm Beach, FL)
2006 Shirley Beckett Mikell, NCAC II (Severn, MD)
2005 Dr. Frank Lala (Vancouver, WA)
2004 Paul McDevitt (Housatonic, MA)
2002 Leroy L. Kelly (Ashland, MA)
2000 Joseph A. Giannantonio II (Bakersfield, CA)
1999 Dr. Raymond F. Hoitt (Weymoth, MA)
1996 Paul D. Potter (Milwaukie, OR)
1995 Svea "Bunny" Morgan (Nashville, TN)
1995 John T. Durgin (East Wareham, MA)
1994 Charles "Chuck" Ealy, Sr. (Lewisburg, TN)
1993 John P. Mulloy, Jr. (Nashville, TN)
1992 Elves Smith (San Antonio, TX)
1991 John Brumbaugh (Columbus, IN)
1989 Lydia Norie (Norman, OK)
1988 William F. Callahan