Free NAADAC Webinar
A Recorded Webinar
As of January 2023, registration and CE quiz and Certificate access for the NAADAC Free Webinar Series are available in the NAADAC Education Center
. Click here
to learn about the NAADAC Education Center
Recorded on May 4, 2016
The alarming increase of gangs in the United States has become a national priority. This work focuses on Hispanic youth street gangs in the United States. It provides a description and understanding of contemporary gangs that are emerging in Hispanic and Latino Communities. This work requires an appreciation of the importance of immigration and transnational spaces for the phenomenon of US Hispanic Youth Street gangs, and the vulnerability of Hispanic communities. Also, discussed are consequences associated with streets gangs. Included are practical suggestions of how to communicate, interact, and build rapport with gang members. Also included, is the latest research on risks associated with U.S. Hispanic and Latino adolescents becoming gang members.
- Provide a description and understanding of Hispanic/Latino street gangs
- Identify and describe risk factors for gang membership
- Identify and describe Evidenced Based Intervention Models for Latino youth gang members
- Identify prevention models and strategies that effectively engage youth gang members
Education is FREE to all professionals
Earn 1 Continuing Education Hour (CE)
To earn a CE Certificate for viewing this webinar, you must view the webinar in its entirety, pass the CE quiz, and complete the online survey evaluation.
Click here for a complete list of who accepts NAADAC continuing education hours.
- Upon completing the webinar, you will have access to the CE quiz within the course you are taking. Find the CE quiz in the NAADAC Education Center and click “purchase.” NAADAC members will be prompted to register for the CE quiz for free, while non-members will be prompted to pay a $15 processing fee to access the quiz.
- A score of 80% or higher is required to pass the CE quiz and access your CE certificate. You have 10 opportunities to pass the quiz. If you are unable to pass the quiz in the allocated number of tries, then you must retake the course.
- Upon passing the CE quiz, you will be required to complete the survey evaluation for the course. Once that is completed, your CE certificate will be immediately available in your account in the NAADAC Education Center to download and print. All certificates will be stored in the NAADAC Education Center under your profile name. Click here for detailed step-by-step instructions on how to access your CE quiz and download your CE certificate.
This webinar is NOT eligible for ASWB ACE CE hours or NASW CE hours.
Robert Hernandez, MSW, has worked with various street youth populations in Southern California where his effort has focused on advancing marginalized and vulnerable youth populations through a range of practice approaches addressing violence-related trauma through violence reduction, prevention and intervention strategies. He served on the Community Engagement Ad-Hoc Committee on Gang Violence and Youth and currently serves on the National Juvenile Justice Network. Much of his work centers on community violence prevention and intervention. He also is cofounder and executive director of Visionary Youth Center, Inc. He is also on the faculty at USC where he teaches Social Work courses with a focus on Leadership; Policy; Social Work Practice With Families, Groups and Complex Cases; Social Work and Law; and Adolescent Gang Intervention.
Who Should Attend
Addiction professionals, employee assistance professionals, social workers, mental health counselors, professional counselors, psychologists, and other helping professionals that are interested in learning about addiction-related matters.
Questions or comments about NAADAC Education? Take a look at our Webinar FAQs or email NAADAC.
Click here to learn about the NAADAC Education Center.
This presentation is for individual use only and may not be reproduced without permission from NAADAC.