Free NAADAC Webinar
A Recorded Webinar
As of January 2023, registration and CE quiz and Certificate access for the NAADAC Free Webinar Series are available in the NAADAC Education Center
. Click here
to learn about the NAADAC Education Center
Recorded on February 25, 2015
It is not uncommon to work with clients, adolescents and adults, who engage in various forms of self-injurious behaviors. This includes cutting, burning, choking, ingestion, and/or application of harmful chemicals or objects, punching, and more. Understanding why clients engage in these sometimes dangerous acts is of paramount importance if effective treatment is possible. This webinar will review various reasons clients self-harm as a coping mechanism, how this behavior can become addictive, and treatment options for this population.
- Understand various reasons for self-injurious behaviors
- Differentiate between suicidal and parasuicidal behaviors
- Assess clients with regard to the possibility they are engaging in self-injurious behavior (SIB)
Education is FREE to all professionals
Earn 1.5 Continuing Education Hours (CEs)
To earn a CE Certificate for viewing this webinar, you must view the webinar in its entirety, pass the CE quiz, and complete the online survey evaluation.
Click here for a complete list of who accepts NAADAC continuing education hours.
This webinar is NOT eligible for ASWB ACE CE hours or NASW CE hours.
- Upon completing the webinar, you will have access to the CE quiz within the course you are taking. Find the CE quiz in the NAADAC Education Center and click “purchase.” NAADAC members will be prompted to register for the CE quiz for free, while non-members will be prompted to pay a $20 processing fee to access the quiz.
- A score of 80% or higher is required to pass the CE quiz and access your CE certificate. You have 10 opportunities to pass the quiz. If you are unable to pass the quiz in the allocated number of tries, then you must retake the course.
- Upon passing the CE quiz, you will be required to complete the survey evaluation for the course. Once that is completed, your CE certificate will be immediately available in your account in the NAADAC Education Center to download and print. All certificates will be stored in the NAADAC Education Center under your profile name. Click here for detailed step-by-step instructions on how to access your CE quiz and download your CE certificate.
Barbara Melton, M.Ed., LPC has been in private practice in downtown Charleston, SC since 1991 and specializes in working with clients who self-injure, as well as clients with Bipolar Disorder, Trauma, and Stressor-Related Disorders. She is also adjunct faculty at Webster University in Charleston and teaches a Clinical Supervision course for them. She is a Certified Addictions Counselor (CAC-II) and on the Board of Directors for the South Carolina Association for Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselors as well as the South Carolina Association for Licensed Professional Counselors. She is a contract clinical supervisor at the Dorchester Alcohol & Drug Commission and also supervises clinicians for licensure and certification.
Who Should Attend
Addiction professionals, employee assistance professionals, social workers, mental health counselors, professional counselors, psychologists, and other helping professionals that are interested in learning about addiction-related matters.
Questions or comments about NAADAC Education? Take a look at our Webinar FAQs or email NAADAC.
Click here to learn about the NAADAC Education Center.
This presentation is for individual use only and may not be reproduced without permission from NAADAC.