Requalifying as a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP)
Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs) must complete 12 hours of professional development relevant to performing SAP functions during each subsequent three-year renewal period to maintain their qualification.
This requirement can be satisfied with NAADAC’s Substance Abuse Professional’s U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Testing Regulation Re-qualification Independent Study Course or by attending a live in-person or virtual two-day SAP Training Course. Both the Independent Study Course and the live in-person or virtual Courses include a bound SAP Manual and access to an online 25-item SAP Requalification examination. Look inside NAADAC's SAP Manual before purchase!
STEP 1: Get your 12 hours of Continuing Education
Purchase the Substance Abuse Professional’s U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Testing Regulation Requalification Independent Study Course to study at home OR register for a in-person or virtual two-day live SAP Training Course to earn the required 12 CEs.
STEP 2: Pass your Requalification Exam
Take and pass your 25-question SAP Requalification examination online (exam included in purchase of Independent Study Course or two-day SAP Training Course).
STEP 3: Apply for Requalification
Purchase & submit a SAP Requalification Application with a copy of your current qualifying license or certification within 18 months of passing your online exam.
SAPs qualified through NAADAC will be issued a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) Qualification Certificate to frame and display in your office, a free listing in NAADAC's online SAP Directory, and are afforded another three years of maintenance-free eligibility to practice as an SAP.
SAP Requalification Independent Study Course
The Substance Abuse Professional’s U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Testing Regulation Requalification Independent Study Course consists of the Substance Abuse Professional’s U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Testing Regulation Qualification/Requalification Course Manual and access to an online 25-question SAP Requalification exam, worth 12 CEs.
As mandated by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the Substance Abuse Professional’s U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Testing Regulation Qualification/Requalification Course outlines the nine required learning components:
Please note that after passing your SAP Requalification exam, you will still need to purchase & submit a SAP Requalification Application with a copy of your current qualifying license or certification within 18 months of passing your online exam to renew your SAP Qualification.
- Background, rationale and coverage of the DOT’s drug and alcohol testing program;
- 49 C.F.R. § 40 and DOT agency drug and alcohol testing rules;
- Key DOT drug testing requirements, including collections, laboratory testing, MRO review and problems in drug testing;
- Key DOT alcohol testing requirements, including the testing process, the roles of BATs and STTs and problems in alcohol testing;
- SAP qualifications and prohibitions;
- The role of the SAP in the return-to-duty process, including the initial employee evaluation, referrals for education and/or treatment, the follow-up evaluation, continuing treatment recommendations and the follow-up testing plan;
- SAP consultation and communication with employers, MROs and treatment providers;
- Reporting and record keeping requirements; and
- Issues that SAPs confront in carrying out their duties under the program.
Regular Price: $350 Members Price: $250
Add to Shopping Cart
SAP MANUAL ONLY
This purchase includes the SAP Manual only. This does NOT include access to the SAP Requalification exam or 12 CEs.
Regular Price: $200 Members Price: $150
Add to Shopping Cart
SAP Requalification Application
Ready to renew your NAADAC SAP Qualification? Purchase NAADAC's Requalification application today.
Add to Shopping Cart
Regular Price: $50 Member Price: $25
For more information on becoming a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP), follow the above links, call 703-741-7686 and select option # 5 for SAP, or email Richard Goodman, SAP Administrator, at [email protected].