Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) Initial Qualification
Initial Qualification Steps
STEP 1: Confirm that you have a qualifying credential or license
To qualify to be a DOT SAP, you must have one of the following credentials:
- Nationally certified* alcohol/drug abuse counselor through:
- NAADAC/NCC AP - NCAC I, NCAC II, or MAC national credentials only; or
- International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC) - ICADC or ICAADC national credentials only; or
- National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) – MAC national credential only.
Please note that state alcohol/drug abuse counselor credentials and licenses are not accepted.
- Licensed physician (Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy)
- Licensed or certified psychologist
- Licensed or certified social worker
- Licensed or certified employee assistance professional
- Licensed or certified marriage and family therapist
STEP 2: Get your 12 hours of Continuing Education
Receive your required 12 hours of training by purchasing NAADAC's Substance Abuse Professional’s U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Testing Regulation Qualification Independent Study Course to study at home OR register for a live in-person or virtual two-day SAP Training Course.
STEP 3: Pass your Qualification Exam
Demonstrate your Knowledge of the subject by passing your online 100-question SAP Qualification examination (exam included in purchase of Independent Study Course or two-day SAP Training Course).
STEP 4: Apply for your SAP Qualification
Purchase & submit a SAP Qualification Application with a copy of your current qualifying license or certification within 18 months of passing your online exam.
SAP INITIAL qualification Independent Study Course
The Substance Abuse Professional’s U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Testing Regulation Initial Qualification Independent Study Course consists of the Substance Abuse Professional’s U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Testing Regulation Qualification/Requalification Course Manual and access to an online 100-question SAP initial qualification exam, worth 12 CEs.
As mandated by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the Substance Abuse Professional’s U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Testing Regulation Qualification/Requalification Course outlines the nine required learning components:
Please note that after passing your SAP initial qualification exam, you will still need to purchase & submit a SAP Qualification Application with a copy of your current qualifying license or certification within 18 months of passing your online exam to get your SAP Qualification from NAADAC.
- Background, rationale and coverage of the DOT’s drug and alcohol testing program;
- 49 C.F.R. § 40 and DOT agency drug and alcohol testing rules;
- Key DOT drug testing requirements, including collections, laboratory testing, MRO review and problems in drug testing;
- Key DOT alcohol testing requirements, including the testing process, the roles of BATs and STTs and problems in alcohol testing;
- SAP qualifications and prohibitions;
- The role of the SAP in the return-to-duty process, including the initial employee evaluation, referrals for education and/or treatment, the follow-up evaluation, continuing treatment recommendations and the follow-up testing plan;
- SAP consultation and communication with employers, MROs and treatment providers;
- Reporting and record keeping requirements; and
- Issues that SAPs confront in carrying out their duties under the program.
Regular Price: $400 Members Price: $300
Add to Shopping Cart
SAP MANUAL ONLY
This purchase includes the SAP Manual only. This does NOT include access to the SAP Qualification exam or 12 CEs.
Regular Price: $200 Members Price: $150
Add to Shopping Cart
Initial SAP Qualification Application
Ready to apply? Purchase NAADAC's Initial SAP Qualification application today.
Add to Shopping Cart
Regular Price: $50 Member Price: $25
For more information on becoming a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP), follow the above links, call 703-741-7686 and select option # 5 for SAP, or email Richard Goodman, SAP Administrator, at [email protected].