Become a U.S. Department of Transportation Substance Abuse Professional!
Safety is the first priority of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). To ensure that transportation providers employ workers who are 100% drug- and alcohol-free, the DOT developed regulations for a Alcohol and Drug Testing Program and created the position of Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs) to assist those who are identified through this program as having a problem with drugs and/or alcohol.
DOT Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs) evaluate workers who have violated a DOT drug and alcohol program regulation and make recommendations concerning education, treatment, follow-up testing and continuing care. Specifically, SAPs:
- Conduct comprehensive face-to-face assessment and clinical evaluation to determine what level of assistance the employee needs in resolving problems associated with alcohol use or prohibited drug use;
- Recommend a course of education and/or treatment with which the employee must comply prior to returning to DOT safety-sensitive duty;
- Serve as a referral source to assist the employee’s entry into an acceptable program;
- Conduct a face-to-face follow-up evaluation with the employee to determine if the individual has demonstrated successful compliance with recommendations of the initial evaluation and has made appropriate clinical progress sufficient to return to duty;
- Develop and direct a follow-up testing plan for the employee returning to work following successful compliance; and
- Provide the employee and employer with recommendations for continuing care.
UPCOMING LIVE TWO-DAY SAP TRAINING
Join NAADAC President Mita M. Johnson, EdD, LPC, MAC, SAP, CTHP-II, on Monday, March 22 - Tuesday, March 23 for a live two-day virtual U.S. DOT Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) Qualification/Requalification Course! Earn 12 CEs!
This live, interactive two-day training is designed to provide the required 12 hours of professional development relevant to performing SAP functions for people who wish to obtain their U.S. DOT SAP Qualification (or Requalification).
This live, interactive two-day virtual training comes with:
- The 2020 “Substance Abuse Professional’s U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Testing Regulation” Manual*;
- The 100-question initial SAP Qualification Exam or the 25-question Requalification Exam**; and
- A free Initial SAP Qualification or SAP Requalification Application (worth $25 for members; $50 for non-members)***.
- Member: $450*
- Non-member: $550*
*If you already own the latest NAADAC SAP Manual (green cover), please call NAADAC Operations Manager Richard Goodman at 703.741.7686 x122 to get a registration discount ($150 for members or $200 for non-members).
**If you obtained your most recent SAP Qualification through another organization, you must take NAADAC's 100-question initial SAP Qualification Exam and apply for your renewal using the Initial SAP Qualification Application.
***Please note that while the SAP training and education is available to anyone, you must meet the U.S. Department of Transportation's eligibility criteria to obtain your SAP Qualification and be listed in NAADAC's online SAP Directory. Please check the eligibility guidelines below.
Cancellation Policy: All cancellations received in writing prior to March 1, 2021 will receive a 75% refund, minus the cost of the manual if the manual has already been shipped. Thereafter, no refunds are given. Please send all cancellation requests to Richard Goodman, SAP Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? If you have additional questions, please contact Richard Goodman, SAP Administrator, at email@example.com or 703.741.7686 x122.
Why become a SAP?
- Generate additional income
- Expand your private practice
- Qualify for new employment opportunities through companies that have SAP staff positions
- Reduce your workload while transitioning into retirement
- Use your current skill set in a new way
- Engage with a new population of clients
- Join an exclusive marketplace where only a limited amount of SAPs are available
In order to qualify to be a DOT SAP, you must have the following: