DOT is allowing SAPs to provide remote assessments at their discretion during the COVID crisis. These remote evaluations will be allowed until September 30, 2020. Read the full statement.
Become a U.S. Department of Transportation Substance Abuse Professional!
Safety is the first priority of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). To ensure that transportation providers employ workers who are 100% drug- and alcohol-free, the DOT developed regulations for a Alcohol and Drug Testing Program and created the position of Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs) to assist those who are identified through this program as having a problem with drugs and/or alcohol.
DOT Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs) evaluate workers who have violated a DOT drug and alcohol program regulation and make recommendations concerning education, treatment, follow-up testing and continuing care. Specifically, SAPs:
- Conduct comprehensive face-to-face assessment and clinical evaluation to determine what level of assistance the employee needs in resolving problems associated with alcohol use or prohibited drug use;
- Recommend a course of education and/or treatment with which the employee must comply prior to returning to DOT safety-sensitive duty;
- Serve as a referral source to assist the employee’s entry into an acceptable program;
- Conduct a face-to-face follow-up evaluation with the employee to determine if the individual has demonstrated successful compliance with recommendations of the initial evaluation and has made appropriate clinical progress sufficient to return to duty;
- Develop and direct a follow-up testing plan for the employee returning to work following successful compliance; and
- Provide the employee and employer with recommendations for continuing care.
Why become a SAP?
- Generate additional income
- Expand your private practice
- Qualify for new employment opportunities through companies that have SAP staff positions
- Reduce your workload while transitioning into retirement
- Use your current skill set in a new way
- Engage with a new population of clients
- Join an exclusive marketplace where only a limited amount of SAPs are available
In order to qualify to be a DOT SAP, you must have the following: