For Immediate Release
June 15, 2015
ALEXANDRIA, VA – NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals, is proud to endorse American Professional Agency, Inc. (APA, Inc.) as its exclusive provider to administer a professional liability program for addiction counselors who are NAADAC members. The latest in a suite of products developed specifically for mental health professionals, this program provides coverage that is tailored to the unique exposures faced by addiction counselors. Coverage is also available for NAADAC members who are nationally certified Peer Recovery Support Specialists, Associates working under supervision, Clinical Supervisors, Corporate Entities, and Students.
“APA, Inc. has been an underwriter of professional liability for the behavioral health and allied health field for over 40 years, and with over 100,000 insured professionals, is one of the top program administrator in the country. We are excited to bring the strength and flexibility of its comprehensive and highly specialized insurance program to our members, and look forward to a long relationship with APA, Inc.,” states Cynthia Moreno Tuohy, NAADAC Executive Director.
“We are proud to partner with NAADAC to deliver an excellent insurance program to its members. As the sole program manager of professional liability insurance for members of NAADAC, we continually strive to meet the evolving needs of mental health practitioners. This new program for addiction counselors, students, and certified Peer Recovery Support Specialists meets those needs and at a substantial costs savings for NAADAC members,” states Peter T. Imbert, Executive Vice President of APA, Inc.
Program Highlights for Eligible Insureds (except Students)
- Underwritten by Darwin National Assurance Company, a subsidiary of Allied World Assurance Company.
- Eligible Insureds: Addiction Counselors, Associates working toward licensure/certification, Clinical Directors, certified Peer Recovery Support Specialists, Corporations/Groups providing addiction counseling.
- Limits available ranging from $200,000/$600,000 to $2,000,000/$4,000,000
- Coverage on Claims Made basis covering claims that are brought against you during the policy period.
- First year total insurance cost for $1,000,000/$3,000,000 limits as low as $115 for a full time Addiction Counselor
- Free lifetime “Tail Coverage” or Extended Reporting Period endorsement is available if the insured permanently retires, is permanently disabled or has died. To be eligible for free “tail coverage” upon permanent retirement, the policyholder must be insured with APA, Inc. a minimum of 5 years and be at least 55 years old. If a policyholder wants to discontinue coverage with APA, Inc. and does not qualify for free tail coverage, “tail coverage” may be purchased for a one-time charge of 175% of the expiring premium. Claim history will not prevent an insured from purchasing tail coverage.
- Coverage includes Premises Liability for “Trip and Fall” lawsuits at your workplace.
- Full defense coverage included with no cap. Defense coverage is in addition to policy limits.
- Sex Abuse Allegations are provided full Defense Coverage. A $25,000 sub-limit applies to judgements.
- Corporate or Group coverage available.
- Part time rates available for professionals working less than 20 hours a week.
- $5,000 to $75,000 legal fee reimbursement limits available for defense costs related to proceedings such as hearings or disciplinary actions brought by a state or other licensing board or governmental regulatory body.
Program Highlights for Students
- Student Coverage available on Occurrence Form for as low as $23 per year.
- Occurrence Form coverage with limits ranging from $1,000,000/$1,000,000 to $2,000,000/$4,000,000.
- Covers the performance of duties in field placement.
How to Apply
- Click Here to download an application to submit by:
- Online at www.americanprofessional.com
- By Phone at 1-800-421-6694 x2312 to speak with an underwriter in the Addiction Counselors Department.
Payment can be made with a credit card online for those needing coverage quickly.
Questions? Please contact the Addiction Counselors Department at APA, Inc. by calling 1-800-421-6694 x2312 to speak with an agent today. The APA, Inc. staff looks forward to speaking with you regarding your insurance needs.
Pamela Van Cott, CPCU
Assistant Vice President
American Professional Agency, Inc.
95 Broadway, Amityville, NY 11701
NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals, represents the professional interests of more than 85,000 addiction counselors, educators and other addiction-focused health care professionals in the United States, Canada, and abroad. NAADAC’s members are addiction counselors, educators and other addiction-focused health care professionals, who specialize in addiction prevention, treatment, recovery support and education. An important part of the healthcare continuum, NAADAC members and its 47 state affiliates work to create healthier individuals, families and communities through prevention, intervention, quality treatment and recovery support.
About American Professional Agency, Inc. (APA, Inc.)
APA, Inc. has been a leading writer of professional liability for mental health and other professionals for 40 years. With over 100,000 insureds, APA, Inc. has been endorsed or sponsored by many national and regional mental health associations. In addition, APA, Inc. has experienced staff to provide risk management consultation services for policyholders.