How do I apply?

The application is only available online here. There is no paper application. It must be submitted electronically through this portal.

What happens if I am missing information or documents?

Missing information or documents will result in an incomplete application. Only completed applications will be reviewed and scored. It is solely the applicant’s responsibility to submit a complete application.

Can required documents for the application be sent directly to NAADAC by either postal mail or electronic submission?

All supporting documentation must be attached to the online application. Do not mail or e-mail any required documents to NAADAC separately.

What is the deadline for submitting applications?

The NMFP-AC has implemented a rolling application period for the 2017-2018 academic year. After thorough review, fellowships will be awarded to outstanding applicants on a first come, first served basis. Please note that funds are limited, so be sure to apply early before they run out.

I am enrolled full time in a Master’s program in counseling that has an addiction track. Is my program eligible?

If the counseling program is at an accredited institution of higher education, and the program has an addiction counseling specialization or track that can be verified, your program is eligible. Applicants will be required to provide a hyperlink to the university webpage that describes the addiction track.

I am enrolled in a Master’s in a mental health counseling program full time. What qualifies a program to be concentrated in addictions studies?

For the NMFP-AC, a concentration/track/emphasis in addiction/substance use disorders includes:

1. No less than twelve academic credits from addiction-specific graduate level courses. These courses should consist of content that includes Theories of Addiction, Assessment and Diagnosis, Counseling (Individual, Families and Groups), Treatment Planning and Relapse Prevention, Pharmacology and Physiology.

2. A supervised clinical internship that is addiction specific; if the internship is not addiction-specific an estimate of the addiction caseload will need to be stipulated.

Applicants will be required to provide a hyperlink to the university webpage that describes the addiction track.

I am a current graduate student in a Clinical Mental Health & Counseling Program, which no longer has a Master's in Addiction Counseling, nor does it have a concentration. I am wondering if there is still a way for me to apply for the tuition stipend as I currently hold my CADC and work in a methadone clinic as a Substance Abuse Counselor?

The NMFP-AC is exclusively for students enrolled full-time in an addiction Master’s degree program or a Master’s degree with an addiction concentration. The program you describe does not meet these eligibility requirements.

I am interested in this program. Do I need to have a license for substance abuse?

It is not necessary to be licensed or certified as an Addiction/Substance Use Disorder Counselor to apply for the NMFP-AC.

I already have a Master’s degree in another discipline, am I eligible to apply for the NMFP-AC?

This program is intended for individuals who are enrolled in a Master’s Degree program for the first time.

When does NAADAC make Fellowship announcements?

In the NMFP-AC rolling application process, once your application has been screened and determined to be complete and meet eligibility requirements, it then will be reviewed and scored. This process will take several weeks. You will be notified as soon as possible of the outcome of your application.

Are funds given directly to fellowship recipients or to their institutions?

Fellowship stipends are awarded on behalf of the student to the College or University to pay for tuition and fees. Additional benefits of the fellowship are described here.

Am I responsible to reimburse the award funds if I am unable to complete the Fellowship?

Yes, your agreement with the NAADAC Minority Fellowship Program for Addiction Counselors is to complete all of the expected commitments. If you cannot complete the commitments, you will be responsible for paying back any funds you have used.

Who should I contact with questions?

Please contact Ace Crawford at or 703.741.7686 x107.