This award, renamed for Lora Roe in 1988, is presented to a counselor who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession of addiction counseling. Previously, it was called the NAADAC Counselor of the Year award and the Lora Roe Memorial Alcohol & Drug Counselor of the Year Award.
Any NAADAC member in good standing may nominate an individual for this award, which is selected by the NAADAC Awards Committee. Current members of the NAADAC Executive Committee are ineligible for this award.
To be given this award, the nominee must:
The nomination period is now closed.
- be currently employed as an addiction counseling professional, and actively working as a counselor for not less than ten years prior to receiving the award;
- have worked with clients (patients) for a sustained period with individual or group contact that fosters recovery from addiction disorders;
- be certified, registered or licensed as an addiction professional;
- be an active NAADAC member in good standing (the individual must be a voting member as opposed to an honorary or nonvoting member); and
- have demonstrated to the satisfaction of one’s peers full compliance and support of NAADAC’s Code of Ethics.
To nominate an addiction professional for this award, please submit:
- a letter of nomination explaining how the nominee fulfills the eligibility requirements and the spirit of the award;
- at least three letters of support from three different sources (e.g., individuals, organizations or agencies) (Please note that these three letters must be from sources other than the nominator.);
- the nominee’s resume; and
- a completed Award Nomination Form.
Submissions may be sent by email to [email protected] (preferred) or by mail to:
NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals
ATTN: Awards Committee Chair
44 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 301
Alexandria, VA 22314
Deadline: All award nominations much be received by July 31, 2021 for consideration.
Please note that award winners will be asked to submit a short video acknowledging their award for use by NAADAC on the NAADAC website, social media accounts, and other marketing materials. The award will be sent to an address provided by the awardee.
For additional information, please contact Kristin Hamilton, JD, at [email protected] or 703.741.7686 x131.
Past Award Recipients
2020 Theora Noble, LPC-S, LCDC, AADC, NCAC I, ICADC, Certified Therapist in EMDR (Conroe, TX)
2019 Linda Mazak, LADC-1, CADC, LMHC, SAP, MA-PGS, (Quincy, MA) and Suzanne Lofton, LCDC, ADC, SAP, (Fort Worth, TX) (co-recipients)
2018 Robert Nutt, MSW, LICSW, CADAC, LADAC, SAP, CAS, BCD, EMDRIA (Norwell, MA)
2017 Cherylene McClain-Tucker, MA, MAC, LCDC, ADC (Mansfield, TX)
2016 Sandra Farrell, MS, CADC (Mashpee, MA)
2015 Martha Deering, CAGS, LADC I, CADC II, LRC, CRC, SAP (Strewbury, MA)
2014 Leigh Kolodny-Kraft, LCADC, ICADC, SAP, SAC (Florham Park, N.J.)
2013 Mary Sugden, CADC II, LADC I (Williamstown, MA)
2012 Rev. Carol Bolstad, MATS, LADC I (Hyannis, MA)
2011 Thomas A. Peltz, CAS, LADC I (Beverly Farms, MA)
2010 Richard Greene (Austin, TX)
2009 Neville E. Pottinger, LCDC (Houston, TX)
2008 Joseph A. Ruggieri, LMHC, LADC, CADAC (North Andover, MA)
2007 Maureen McGlame (Boston, MA)
2006 Thomas Thelin, MDiv (Leominster, MA)
2005 Terry Sheneman (Austin, TX)
2004 Jack Buehler (Denton, NE)
2003 Thurston S. Smith (Charleston, S.C.)
2002 Dr. Raymond F. Hoitt (Weymoth, MA)
2001 John Cates (Sugarland, TX)
2000 George Joseph (Houston, TX)
1999 James A. Holder III (Florence, S.C.)
1998 Barbara Reese (Enid, OK)
1997 Dan Marker (Shawnee, OK)
1996 Barbara Lundy-Fishkin (Oklahoma City, OK)
1995 Karen McKibben (The Woodlands, TX)
1994 Linda Mullis (Ware, MA)
1993 Gordon Cooper (Providence, R.I.)
1992 Charla Rasmussen-Scarbrough (OK)
1991 Robert S. Milan (Lawton, OK)
1990 Rosie Hatchett (Indianapolis, IN)
1989 Maritza Pemberton (R.I.)
1988 Judy A. Neal (Cushing, OK)
1987 Hester Bigger (Rockville, IN)
1986 Dr. Thomas McGovern (Lubbock, TX)
1985 George Allen (TN)
1984 Dr. John Mooney, Jr. (Statesboro, GA)
1983 Joseph Steiner (Eugene, OR)
1982 Lora Roe, CAC
1980 Rusty Williams
1979 Counselors of the U.S. Navy alcoholism and drug abuse program