Free NAADAC Webinar
A Recorded Webinar
As of January 2023, registration and CE quiz and Certificate access for the NAADAC Free Webinar Series are available in the NAADAC Education Center
. Click here
to learn about the NAADAC Education Center
Recorded on July 14, 2011
Integrating Treatment for Co-occurring Disorders: An Introduction to What Every Addiction Counselor Needs to Know is a skill-based training program that will help addiction counselors improve their ability to assist clients who have co-occurring disorders, within their scope of practice. This educational program is designed for those who do not have a significant background with co-occurring disorders and will discuss the many myths related to mental illness treatment, barriers to assessing and treating co-occurring disorders, relevant research and prevalence data, commonly encountered mental disorders, applicable screening and assessment instruments and issues surrounding medication management and coordinating with other mental health professionals. This education program will also introduce the integrated model of mental health and addiction treatment services, outlining how to utilize current substance abuse treatment best practices when working with this population. At the end of the live presentation, participants will be able to ask questions of the presenter and receive immediate answers.
As a result of participating in this webinar, you will be able to:
- Discuss the prevalence of co-occurring disorders in substance abuse treatment programs;
- Contrast co-occurring treatment with traditional addiction treatment;
- Give a rationale for integrated treatment;
- List instruments helpful for screening;
- Describe evidence-based therapies helpful in treating co-occurring disorders; and
- Access new training programs available through NAADAC and Hazelden.
Education is FREE to all professionals
Earn 2 Continuing Education Hours (CEs)
To earn a CE Certificate for viewing this webinar, you must view the webinar in its entirety, pass the CE quiz, and complete the online survey evaluation.
Click here for a complete list of organizations who approve NAADAC to provide continuing education hours.
This webinar is NOT eligible for ASWB ACE CE hours or NASW CE hours.
- Upon completing the webinar, you will have access to the CE quiz within the course you are taking. Find the CE quiz in the NAADAC Education Center and click “purchase.” NAADAC members will be prompted to register for the CE quiz for free, while non-members will be prompted to pay a $25 processing fee to access the quiz.
- A score of 80% or higher is required to pass the CE quiz and access your CE certificate. You have 10 opportunities to pass the quiz. If you are unable to pass the quiz in the allocated number of tries, then you must retake the course.
- Upon passing the CE quiz, you will be required to complete the survey evaluation for the course. Once that is completed, your CE certificate will be immediately available in your account in the NAADAC Education Center to download and print. All certificates will be stored in the NAADAC Education Center under your profile name. Click here for detailed step-by-step instructions on how to access your CE quiz and download your CE certificate.
Looking for more resources on Co-Occurring Disorders? Click here.
Timothy Sheehan, PhD, has served Hazelden for more than 25 years providing clinical and executive leadership in addiction and mental health services, higher education and professional training. Some of his contributions include developing co-occurring disorder treatment, administrative leadership of a multi-site clinical operation for addiction, instituting outpatient mental health services for co-occurrence, and establishing a fully accredited free standing graduate school of addiction studies. Dr. Sheehan has published more than 15 journal and self help articles, presented internationally in Portugal, South Africa and at the first addiction symposium in the United Kingdom including a conference with a committee of the House of Lords and House of Commons. Having retired from his role of Vice President and Provost, Dr Sheehan serves the Graduate School part time as Professor and Director of Institutional Effectiveness in addition to professional training and consultation with Hazelden Publishing.
Mary Woods, RNC, LADC, MSHS, currently serves as the Chief Executive Officer for WestBridge Community Services. Woods is a Licensed Registered Nurse and a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor with over 25 years experience in substance abuse services and community mental health programs. Woods is also the past President of NAADAC, Chairperson of the New Hampshire State Board of Licensing for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Professionals and has taught at the University of New Hampshire, Department of Social Work. Woods has extensive experience conducting workshops and trainings with a primary focus in Motivational Interviewing, Stages of Change theory, and integrating treatment of co-occurring disorders.
Who Should Attend
Addiction professionals, employee assistance professionals, social workers, mental health counselors, professional counselors, psychologists and other helping professionals that are interested in learning about addiction-related matters..
This webinar will be recorded for later viewing. Complete the registration form to receive after the live broadcast links to the free recording and the online CE Quiz.
Questions or comments about NAADAC Education? Take a look at our Webinar FAQs or email NAADAC.
Click here to learn about the NAADAC Education Center.
This presentation is for individual use only and may not be reproduced without permission from NAADAC.