Free NAADAC Webinar
A Live, Interactive Webinar
Wednesday, August 11, 2021 @ 3:00-4:00pm ET (2CT/1MT/12PT)
There has been recent emphasis on the role of beliefs, motivation, and medication in the treatment of disorders, including substance use disorder and gambling disorder. This session examines the role of emotion in the development and maintenance of these disorders, as well as the role of emotions in treatment. As we move toward medical models of treatment, this discussion considers the heart of emotions and therapeutic alliance as central parts of the change process to establish freedom from the harmful behavioral processes and attainment of long-term recovery.
Kenneth J. Martz, PsyD, CAS, is a licensed psychologist and Director of Legislative Policy and Advocacy for Gaudenzia Foundation. He has worked in treatment and management of special populations including substance use disorder and gambling disorder treatment for the past 25 years. He was formerly the Special Assistant to the Secretary for the Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Martz has a Doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology from the American School of Professional Psychology. He is credited with a dozen publications, most recently Manage my Emotions: What I Wish I’d Learned in School about Anger, Fear and Love, with a pending release of a companion book, Manage my Addiction. He has presented over 100 local, national, and international presentations on addictions.
- Participants will be able to identify the role of emotions in the development, maintenance, and resolution of substance use disorder and gambling disorders.
- Participants will be able to identify the role of five key emotions including fear, anger, and grief.
- Participants will be able to describe the role of emotions in deepening the therapeutic alliance.
- Beginning level courses introduce learners to a content area; include information about a condition, treatment method, or issue; and involve learning and comprehending content.
Polls and Q&A.
Education is FREE to all professionals.
Earn 1 Continuing Education Hour (CE)
To earn a CE Certificate for viewing this webinar, you must view the webinar in its entirety, complete the online evaluation, and pass the CE quiz.
Click here for a complete list of who accepts NAADAC continuing education hours.
- Upon completing the webinar, click on the “Online CE Quiz” link above in the grey box to complete the online evaluation survey and CE quiz, and get your CE certificate. This link will be made available after the webinar takes place. NAADAC members will be prompted to register for the CE quiz for free, while non-members will be prompted to pay a $15 processing fee to access the quiz.
- A score of 80% or higher is required to pass the CE quiz and access your CE certificate. You have 10 opportunities to pass the quiz. If you are unable to pass the quiz in the allocated number of tries, then you must retake the course.
- Upon passing the CE quiz, your CE certificate will be immediately available to download in your NAADAC profile. Click here for detailed step-by-step instructions for accessing your CE quiz and CE Certificate.
Who Should Attend
Addiction professionals, employee assistance professionals, social workers, mental health counselors, professional counselors, psychologists, and other helping professionals that are interested in learning about addiction-related matters.
Live closed captioning is available and the captioning capabilities are in compliance with the practices defined in Worldwide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. In addition, transcripts are available for on-demand webinars recorded on and after March 27, 2019.
Questions, comments, or concerns about NAADAC Education? Take a look at our Webinar FAQs or email NAADAC.
Click here to learn about system requirements for NAADAC Webinars.
This presentation is for individual use only and may not be reproduced without permission from NAADAC.