The Enlightenment Award (formerly the Lifetime Honorary Membership Award) recognizes an individual who has established outstanding service through a lifetime of consistent contributions to the advancement of NAADAC, the addiction profession, and its professionals.
Any NAADAC member in good standing may nominate an individual for this award, which is selected by the NAADAC Awards Committee. Current members of the NAADAC Executive Committee are ineligible for this award.
To be given this award, the nominee must:
Download Award Nomination Form
- have worked in the addictions profession for a minimum period of 25 years;
- have established through research, publications, presentations or by other means, the significance of the addiction field and its professionals;
- have demonstrated leadership, service and contributions to the addiction field and its professionals;
- supported NAADAC's mission, vision and Code of Ethics;
- be an active NAADAC member in good standing (the individual must be a voting member as opposed to an honorary or nonvoting member); and
- have demonstrated to the satisfaction of one’s peers full compliance and support of NAADAC’s Code of Ethics.
To nominate an addiction professional for this award, please submit:
- a letter of nomination explaining how the nominee fulfills the eligibility requirements and the spirit of the award;
- at least three letters of support from three different sources (e.g., individuals, organizations or agencies);
- the nominee’s resume; and
- a completed Award Nomination Form.
Submissions may be sent by email to email@example.com (preferred) or by mail to:
NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals
ATTN: Awards Committee Chair
44 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 301
Alexandria, VA 22314
Deadline: All award nominations much be received by July 31, 2021 for consideration.
Please note that award winners will be asked to submit a short video acknowledging their award for use by NAADAC on the NAADAC website, social media accounts, and other marketing materials. The award will be sent to an address provided by the awardee.
For additional information, please contact NAADAC Director of Membership and Affiliates David Semanco, MS, MAC, CAADC, CSAC, CAC-AD, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.741.7686 x102.
Past Award Recipients
2020 Phyllis Prekopa, PsyD, RN/BSN, CARN-AP, LCADC, FIAAN (IntNSA), SAP (Hewitt, NJ)
2019 Nancy Deming, MSW, LCSW, MAC, AADC-S
2018 Ralph Jones, LCDC, LPC (Harlington, TX)
2017 Larry Ashley, Eds, LPC, LMSW (Farwell, MI)
2015 James McKenna, LCSW, LADC I, BRI II (Worcester, MA)
2014 Claudia Black, MSW, PhD (Wickenburg, AZ)
2013 James Martin, MSW, CSW, NCAC II, MAC, CEAP, SAP (Bloomfield Hills, MI)
2012 Roger A. Curtiss (Great Falls, MT)
2008 Col. Mel Schulstad, CCDC, NCAC II (ret’d) (Sammamish, WA)
2007 Darryl Inaba (Central Point, OR)
2006 William White (Port Charlotte, FL)
2006 Marcia Lawton (Richmond, VA)
2001 David J. Mack III (North Charleston, SC)