Director of Membership & Affiliates
44 Canal Center Plaza, Ste 301, Alexandria, VA 22314
15-20% of time
The Director of Membership & Affiliates provides primary leadership and management for all aspects of membership and affiliate growth and engagement. Success relies on the ability to view members and potential members from different perspectives, identify and anticipate member needs and how this drive perceived value of membership, and determine the most effective ways to involve members in way that respects their personal and professional commitment. In addition, this role will be the liaison between NAADAC and its state and international affiliates, coordinate regional and state calls and events, and collaborate with other departments to promote and grow NAADAC events, programs, and services.
- Bachelor’s level or higher degree in a relevant field with a minimum of 7 years of experience in a membership/leadership capacity.
- Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience in an association/non-profit setting.
- Track record delivering superior results and assuming leadership roles.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide-array of people, junior and senior, for-profit and non-profit, private and public sector.
- Highly motivated, hardworking, well organized, and able to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated track record of flexibility; ability to adapt and react quickly to unexpected changes, prioritize tasks with excellent organization skills and time management skills, anticipate problems, provide creative solutions, and meet deadlines in challenging situations.
- Demonstrated good judgment and solution-focused decision-making skills.
- Extremely strong attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of association management and member functions.
- Experience with strategy, creation, and performance analysis for recruitment, retention, and other promotional activities.
- High-level experience with data management and analysis, and use of data to inform membership and marketing strategies and initiatives.
- Experience in data-based decision-making and management.
- Financial analysis experience, including revenue and expense monitoring and budget development.
- Demonstrated leadership, negotiation, relationship, and coalition building skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and coach staff.
- Demonstrated competency in working with affiliates and volunteer boards.
- Demonstrated ability to support excellent customer service.
- Ability to work with diversity and as a team player.
- Proficiency with Association Management Systems; experience with Impexium a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Travel: Requires the ability to travel nationally up to 20% of time with base location at office in Alexandria, VA.
- Effectively lead a team of three Membership Services Coordinators
- Membership & Affiliates:
- Development and execution of a robust strategy that identifies membership potential and leverages opportunities for recruitment, retention, and shared service revenue with a focus on growing membership across the continuum of care.
- Work closely with other internal departments to develop product, services, partners, and member interactions with the ultimate goal of creating member value, enhancing awareness of the NAADAC brand/identity, and advancing our mission.
- Manage, track, and evaluate all membership and renewal activities.
- Develop successful membership marketing campaigns in coordination with Communications Department.
- Analyze historical data to identify opportunities and trends for both membership and marketing outreach.
- Work with Communications Department to write, design and implement effective recruitment and retention strategies, develop direct communications with members and leaders and manage print and online content.
- Management and coordination of membership recruitment events and drives.
- Oversees onboarding and outreach to new members and coordinate with Communications Department to manage outgoing communication with members, prospects, and lapsed members.
- Develop and implement ongoing mechanisms for listening to and assessing the changing needs of members/customers and communicating this with staff throughout the organization.
- Develop and implement innovative and effective member/customer service strategies.
- Develop and enhance member engagement opportunities through state affiliates and outreach with communities of practice, special interest groups, partners, and other groups.
- Develop and manage affinity and other programs with third party vendors to maximize member benefits and revenue to NAADAC.
- Oversees data management, including the collection, organization, accuracy, and integrity of member and constituent information in Association Management System.
- Guide member data collection efforts to assure access to information to guide strategic and operational decisions.
- Regularly interface with NAADAC staff to ensure adherence to accurate and consistent membership messaging and benefits.
- Represents NAADAC’s policy positions, philosophy, programs, and services to affiliates, members, and constituents, and represent their voices/ideas constituents back to the national association.
- Co-manage of implementation and management of NAADAC’s Higher Logic Online Communities with Director of Communications (to be implemented in 2021).
- Attend monthly EC, affiliate, and regional phone calls.
- Work with NAADAC leadership to develop and maintain affiliate relations with all state and international affiliates, including development of quiet states/new affiliates.
- Work with other departments to develop affiliate resources and materials.
- Act as staff liaison for Membership and Student Committees, and other committees as assigned.
- Event Coordination:
- Affiliate Events:
- Provide onsite coordination/supervision/support for regional and state events as needed.
- Oversee coordination of scholarships.
- Oversee speaker management/logistics in coordination with Communications Department.
- Annual Conference:
- Provide onsite coordination/supervision/support.
- Responsible for processing and customer service of all pre-conference & onsite registrations, including supervision of in-office and onsite activities registration team.
- Oversee preparation of registration packets, badges, & materials.
- Oversee preparation of Executive Committee and Board of Directors meetings and materials.
- Oversee coordination of scholarships.
- Oversee Membership Team’s event responsibilities.
- Coordinate with Training & Professional Development Department to oversee post-conference continuing education and business hour processing.
- Other Duties:
- Represents NAADAC at national, regional, state and partner events.
- Work with other members of senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations to enhance NAADAC programming and build capacity.
- May be called upon to assist with special projects and assume responsibility for the development, administration, and promotion of specific projects, as required.
Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, 401K, paid time off, family-friendly benefits, and other benefits. Onsite positions also include free onsite parking and gym access.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Director of Membership & Affiliates" in the subject line.
NAADAC provides a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. NAADAC hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.