Cultural Humility Series, Part VI: Why It Matters Now More Than Ever
A Recorded Webinar
As of January 2023, registration and CE quiz and Certificate access for the NAADAC Free Webinar Series are available in the NAADAC Education Center
. Click here
to learn about the NAADAC Education Center
Recorded on Friday, August 21, 2020
Click Here to Access this Course!
The current sociocultural and political climates in the United States elucidate the importance of understanding our humanity while fostering deeper cross-cultural relationships. As the nation is currently facing two pandemics, one health related and the other racial, our ability to engage in thoughtful and meaningful discourse on cultural issues remains ever present. This presentation addresses the impact of racial capitalism, racial colorblindness, implicit bias, and colorism on our inability to create structural changes. The presenter will share insight about the importance of understanding one’s own cultural background and worldviews as a way to enhance our multicultural relationships, both personally and professionally.
- Participants will learn why cultural humility is essential in changing the nature by which we understand ourselves and others.
- Participants will learn how to identify at least two ways in which professionals can address their own implicit biases.
- Participants will examine racial colorblindness and its impact in developing respectful multicultural relationships.
Education is FREE to all professionals
Earn 2 Continuing Education Hours (CEs)
To earn a CE Certificate for viewing this webinar, you must view the webinar in its entirety, pass the CE quiz, and complete the online survey evaluation.
- Upon completing the webinar, you will have access to the CE quiz within the course you are taking. Find the CE quiz in the NAADAC Education Center and click “purchase.” NAADAC members will be prompted to register for the CE quiz for free, while non-members will be prompted to pay a $25 processing fee to access the quiz.
- A score of 80% or higher is required to pass the CE quiz and access your CE certificate. You have 10 opportunities to pass the quiz. If you are unable to pass the quiz in the allocated number of tries, then you must retake the course.
- Upon passing the CE quiz, you will be required to complete the survey evaluation for the course. Once that is completed, your CE certificate will be immediately available in your account in the NAADAC Education Center to download and print. All certificates will be stored in the NAADAC Education Center under your profile name. Click here for detailed step-by-step instructions on how to access your CE quiz and download your CE certificate.
Click here for a complete list of organizations who approve NAADAC to provide continuing education hours.
This webinar is not eligible for ASWB ACE CE hours.
Miguel E. Gallardo, PsyD, is a Professor of Psychology and Director of Aliento, The Center for Latina/o Communities at Pepperdine University. He is a licensed clinical psychologist and maintains an independent/consultation practice. Gallardo has published refereed journal articles, books, and book chapters in the areas of multicultural psychology, Latinx psychology, ethics and evidence-based practices, cultural humility, and racial colorblindness. He is currently a Series Editor for Cognella Academic Press’ Advances in Culture, Race, and Ethnicity book series. Gallardo is currently Director of Research and Evaluation for the Multiethnic Collaborative of Community Agencies (MECCA). He is also a Fellow of the American Psychological Association.
Who Should Attend
Addiction professionals, employee assistance professionals, social workers, mental health counselors, professional counselors, psychologists, and other helping professionals that are interested in learning about addiction-related matters. Live closed captioning is available and the captioning capabilities are in compliance with the practices defined in Worldwide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Questions or comments about NAADAC Education? Take a look at our Webinar FAQs or email NAADAC.
Click here to learn about the NAADAC Education Center.
This presentation is for individual use only and may not be reproduced without permission from NAADAC.