Cultural Humility Series, Part V: Substance Use Disorder Treatment for Latinx Communities
A Recorded Webinar
As of January 2023, registration and CE quiz and Certificate access for the NAADAC Free Webinar Series are available in the NAADAC Education Center
. Click here
to learn about the NAADAC Education Center
Recorded on Friday, August 14, 2020
In this webinar, the presenter will discuss aspects of the current behavioral health status of Latinx communities in the United States including U.S. born, documented, and undocumented immigrants. Ethical problems that may arise when providers fail to take into consideration race, ethnicity, health equity and their impact on health disparities. This presentation will also include how implicit associations in the subconscious affect Latinx communities. Additional topics addressed will include the professional/ethical responsibilities of behavioral health providers with regards to minorities including immigrants; ethical and cultural dilemmas that may arise from the failure to provide adequate services to these groups; and steps clinicians can take to provide services that are culturally, linguistically, professionally and ethically appropriate. At the conclusion of the workshop, recommendations for more effective therapeutic strategies and interventions will be offered.
- Understand the make-up of the Latinx community.
- Define the social determinants of health that affect health equity and create health disparities in Latinx Communities.
- Identify ethical issues that arise when serving this population.
- Explain implicit bias and its effects on service delivery to the Latinx community.
- Learn effective therapeutic strategies and interventions to serve this population.
Education is FREE to all professionals
Earn 1.5 Continuing Education Hours (CEs)
To earn a CE Certificate for viewing this webinar, you must view the webinar in its entirety, pass the CE quiz, and complete the online survey evaluation.
Click here for a complete list of organizations who approve NAADAC to provide continuing education hours.
This webinar is not eligible for ASWB ACE CE hours.
Pierluigi Mancini, PhD, MAC, NCAC II, has over 30 years of experience in culturally and linguistically appropriate behavioral health treatment and prevention and is one of the most sought after national and international consultants and speakers on mental health and addiction. His areas of expertise are immigrant behavioral health and health disparities. Mancini founded Georgia’s only Latino behavioral health program in 1999 to serve the immigrant population by providing cultural and linguistically appropriate services in English, Spanish, and Portuguese. He is an author, cultural competence consultant, and media expert. His book ¡Mental! In The Trump Era - Ten Inspirational Stories About Immigrants Overcoming Addiction, Depression and Anxiety in America is available in English and in Spanish on Amazon.com.
Who Should Attend
Addiction professionals, employee assistance professionals, social workers, mental health counselors, professional counselors, psychologists, and other helping professionals that are interested in learning about addiction-related matters. Live closed captioning is available and the captioning capabilities are in compliance with the practices defined in Worldwide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Questions or comments about NAADAC Education? Take a look at our Webinar FAQs or email NAADAC.
Click here to learn about the NAADAC Education Center.
This presentation is for individual use only and may not be reproduced without permission from NAADAC.
- Upon completing the webinar, you will have access to the CE quiz within the course you are taking. Find the CE quiz in the NAADAC Education Center and click “purchase.” NAADAC members will be prompted to register for the CE quiz for free, while non-members will be prompted to pay a $20 processing fee to access the quiz.
- A score of 80% or higher is required to pass the CE quiz and access your CE certificate. You have 10 opportunities to pass the quiz. If you are unable to pass the quiz in the allocated number of tries, then you must retake the course.
- Upon passing the CE quiz, you will be required to complete the survey evaluation for the course. Once that is completed, your CE certificate will be immediately available in your account in the NAADAC Education Center to download and print. All certificates will be stored in the NAADAC Education Center under your profile name. Click here for detailed step-by-step instructions on how to access your CE quiz and download your CE certificate.