Join child/adolescent behavioral expert, Sophia Ansari, LPCC, and learn how to best manage the students at your school diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), mood disorders, anxiety and depression. You will walk away with concrete, yet practical, strategies to successfully intervene with their serious behavioral issues, such as:
- Anger and outbursts
- Cutting and self-injury
- Sensory issues
- Meltdowns and tantrums
- Obsessive compulsive
- Electronic addiction
Through case studies, video clips and dynamic class discussion you will learn:
- 30 second teacher strategies to manage challenging and disruptive behaviors
- New ways to reduce the costs of out-of-district placements
- How to engage students in class, increase productivity and reduce truancy
- Behavioral assessments and strategies for the IEP team
- Side-effects of common psychotropic medications
- How skill deficits from mental health conditions create behavioral difficulties
- Characteristics of at-risk students’ mental health problems
- Strategies to gain collaboration with clinicians
Leave the day with the “magic dust” you have been looking for to expedite rapid and effective changes in these children and adolescents!
- Articulate how behavioral-driven choices differ from mental health-driven behaviors and characterize how these differences inform your choice of intervention.
- Communicate the effective uses of medications and potential side effects that can appear as misbehaviors.
- Implement various school-based strategies, used in collaboration with community clinicians, to intervene when behavioral issues arise from mental health conditions.
- Determine effective positive behavior support strategies to successfully discipline the special needs child.
- Discriminate how IDEA relates to mental health issues and discipline.
- Apply communication techniques that create a climate for success inside and outside the classroom.