Free NAADAC Webinar
A Live, Interactive Webinar
Wednesday, April 28, 2021 @ 3:00-4:30pm ET (2CT/1MT/12PT)
Since 2001, the misuse of prescription drugs by older adults has increased by over 100 percent. The primary reason for the increase of substance use among baby boomers is later-in-life transitions. To curb the increase of substance use, older adults must be equipped with strategies on how to manage substance use disorders and their overall well-being. Yoga and meditation are proven healing modalities, effectively assisting those suffering from co-occurring disorders by initiating the body's relaxation response. This webinar reviews later-in-life transitions faced by baby boomers, effects these changes can have on older adults, and how substance use disorders and mental health can be managed through holistic treatments such as yoga and meditation.
Shevel Mavins, MS, CASAC, CSAC, ICADC, graduated from Le Monye College with a Bachelor’s degree in psychology and attended Syracuse University’s dual graduate program in rehabilitation counseling and school counseling. She earned a Master of Science in Human Services with a specialization in counseling studies & addiction and mental health disorders from Capella University. Her career started as a counselor in a hospital in upstate New York and has spanned 20 years working in dually diagnosed inpatient & outpatient treatment programs. Mavins also worked as a New York State Certified Education & Training Provider, where she developed substance use trainings, as well as a family & adolescent therapist in an upstate New York school district. Her experience also includes re-entry programs for federal parole, New York State parole and local criminal courts.
Kaii Marie Torrence, BA, is a certified restorative therapeutic yoga instructor and owner of Kaii Marie LLC, a wellness company that offers restorative and therapeutic yoga services and wellness trainings. Through her associated podcast, The Healing Element, Torrence provides listeners with expert advice from substance use counselors, psychotherapists, and holistic practitioners on how to heal from trauma. Torrence has been featured on several podcasts, such as The Slant with Brandon Risher and Made from Scratch with Gabriel Leal, to discuss the effects of trauma and the benefits of yoga therapy. Torrence’s previous professional experience includes eight years of government service, where she assisted vulnerable populations in accessing various local, state, and federal social service programs.
- Participants will be able to describe why late-life transitions are risk factors for co-occurring disorders.
- Participants will be able to verbalize the importance of holistic treatment for older adults.
- Participants will be able to apply the use of yoga and meditation techniques for clients with co-occurring disorders.
Beginner and Intermediate.
- Beginning level courses introduce learners to a content area; include information about a condition, treatment method, or issue; and involve learning and comprehending content.
- Intermediate level courses provide information that builds on knowledge practitioners with some experience already have. These courses focus on skill-building or adding knowledge, possibly following a brief overview of basic information, and involve using information in concrete situations and understanding the underlying structure of the material.
Polls and Q&A.
Education is FREE to all professionals.
Earn 1.5 Continuing Education Hours (CEs)
To earn a CE Certificate for viewing this webinar, you must view the webinar in its entirety, complete the online evaluation, and pass the CE quiz.
Click here for a complete list of who accepts NAADAC continuing education hours.
- Upon completing the webinar, click on the “Online CE Quiz” link above in the grey box to complete the online evaluation survey and CE quiz, and get your CE certificate. This link will be made available after the webinar takes place. NAADAC members will be prompted to register for the CE quiz for free, while non-members will be prompted to pay a $20 processing fee to access the quiz.
- A score of 80% or higher is required to pass the CE quiz and access your CE certificate. You have 10 opportunities to pass the quiz. If you are unable to pass the quiz in the allocated number of tries, then you must retake the course.
- Upon passing the CE quiz, your CE certificate will be immediately available to download in your NAADAC profile. Click here for detailed step-by-step instructions for accessing your CE quiz and CE Certificate.
Who Should Attend
Addiction professionals, employee assistance professionals, social workers, mental health counselors, professional counselors, psychologists, and other helping professionals that are interested in learning about addiction-related matters.
Live closed captioning is available and the captioning capabilities are in compliance with the practices defined in Worldwide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. In addition, transcripts are available for on-demand webinars recorded on and after March 27, 2019.
Questions, comments, or concerns about NAADAC Education? Take a look at our Webinar FAQs or email NAADAC.
Click here to learn about system requirements for NAADAC Webinars.
This presentation is for individual use only and may not be reproduced without permission from NAADAC.