NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals, invites you to submit a proposal to present at its 2018 Annual Conference: Shoot for the Stars in Houston, TX. The 2018 Annual Conference will be held at the Westin Galleria Houston from October 5-9, 2018, including pre-conference training sessions on October 5 and post-conference training sessions on October 9. Regular conference sessions will take place October 6-8.
NAADAC members and non-members are invited to submit presentation proposals for 1.5 hour breakout sessions. NAADAC encourages young investigators, researchers, and addiction and co-occurring professionals from diverse organizations and disciplines to submit.
Submission Deadline: End of Monday, January 15, 2018 @ midnight EST
NAADAC and its partners are calling for workshop proposals that offer unique educational experiences for addiction and other helping professionals. We are seeking current and relevant information within these nine topics:
- Practice Management & Technology: Health Information Technology (HIT), Electronic Health Records (EHR), Certification/Licensure, Patient Retention, Billing/Insurance, Social Media, Teletherapy, Policy/Regulatory Issues, Insurance/Medicaid Reimbursement, and Ethical, Legal, and Liability Issues.
- Co-Occurring Disorders: Integrated Treatment, DSM-5, Mental Health Disorders, Trauma Informed Care, and ICD 10.
- Psychopharmacology: Neurobiology of Addiction, Pharmacotherapy/Medication-Assisted Treatment, Opioids, Alcohol, Marijuana, Sedatives, Stimulants, Synthetic Drugs, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Designer Drugs.
- Clinical Skills: Evidence-based Practices, Case Studies, Relapse Prevention, Treatment Planning, Screening & Assessment, Counseling Theories and Practice Methods, The ASAM Criteria, Substance Use Prevention, and Promising Practices.
- Cultural Humility: Introduction to Cultural Humility, Addiction-Specific Issues Involving LGBTQ, Racial/Ethnic Groups, Gender, Spirituality, Low-Income/Homeless, and Veterans/Military.
- Process Addictions: Gambling Addiction, Sexual Addiction, Internet Addiction, Screen Addiction, and Eating Disorders.
- Recovery Support: Community Navigation, Individual & Community Capital, Family Support, and Treatment Coordination.
- Education/INCASE: Presentations with a post-secondary educational focus, designed for an audience of college level faculty who are seeking to enhance the quality of training and education in addiction studies, to disseminate professional knowledge and share ideas regarding addiction studies, students and scholarship in the field of addiction studies with a creative evidence-based focus. The topics can be as broad as national policy level discussions, and as narrow as creative improvement of a single course--originality is key to acceptance.
- Peer Recovery *NEW*: Relationship-based roles of peers, peer support through a culturally-responsive lens, peer support through a trauma-informed lens, techniques for increasing self-awareness, self-care, and sustaining empathy and connection in peer support roles, and methods for incorporating organizational wellness strategies to create a holistic work environment.
To be considered, presenters must have professional qualifications in good standing with their professional regulatory board, if applicable, possess the technical expertise necessary to present on a subject effectively, and meet one or more of the following:
- Be a faculty member of a college or university;
- Have received specialized graduate or post-graduate level training in subject of presentation; and/or
- Have extensive experience including at least five years of practical application or research involving subject of presentation.
- Presenters will receive a $250 discount on conference registration.
- Promotion of your name and credentials on our website, in our conference app, and in all electronic and print marketing materials, where appropriate.
- Recognition of your expertise by NAADAC and by other industry professionals.
- Networking opportunities.
NAADAC requests that presenters refrain from using terminology that perpetuates the negative stigma surrounding those with substance use disorders or living in recovery:
- Instead of "addict," please use "person with a substance use disorder."
- Instead of "addicted to X," please use "has an X use disorder," "has a serious X use disorder," or "has a substance use disorder involving X" (if more than one substance is involved.)
- Instead of "alcoholic," please use "person with an alcohol use disorder."
- Instead of "drug/substance abuse," please use "substance use disorder."
- Instead of "former addict," please use "person in recovery" or "person in long-term recovery."
Notification of Selection
Chosen presenters will be notified of their selection by email by February 16, 2018.
Applications will be selected according to the following criteria:
- All sections of the application are complete.
- Presentation description is clearly written.
- Learning objectives are clearly stated.
- Session structure and organization are clearly defined.
- Presentation is supported by evidence-based data from research or demonstrated results.
- Presenters have sufficient experience and knowledge of the subject matter.
- Presentation is not used to market products or services, and is free from commercial bias.
Submit a Proposal
Please email Zoey Kim with any other presentation-related questions. For general conference-related questions, please contact NAADAC at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.548.0497.