STEP 1: Candidate must submit NCTTP application for approval. Candidate must:
- Provide evidence of one of the following:
- High School diploma plus 4,000 hours (2 years full-time) of human services work experience to be documented in the application.
- Associate’s Degree plus 2,000 hours (1 year full-time) of human services work experience to be documented in the application.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- Provide a certificate of successful completion of a Tobacco Treatment Specialist training program that is accredited by the Council for Tobacco Treatment Training Program. Click here for a current list of accredited Tobacco Treatment Specialist training programs.
- Provide evidence documenting 240 hours of tobacco treatment practice experience following the completion of training. This experience must be completed within a two-year period.
- Attest to being tobacco-free (including use of electronic nicotine delivery devices such as vaping and e-cigarettes) for a minimum of the six months prior to submission of this application.
- Adhere to the Tobacco Treatment Provider Code of Ethics and sign a statement that he or she has read and adheres to the Tobacco Treatment Provider Code of Ethics.
- Mail application and all supporting documents with the non-refundable application fee of $150 to:
National Certificate in Tobacco Treatment Practice
44 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 301
Alexandria, VA 22314
STEP 2: Candidate must pass the NCTTP examination within one year of his or her NCTTP application approval.
- Upon approval of NCTTP application, NAADAC will send candidate instructions for taking the NCTTP examination.
- Upon receiving notification of candidate's passing score from testing company, NAADAC will mail out the candidate's national certificate.
The written national certificate examination is tailored to test the applicant on his or her projected knowledge of tobacco treatment competencies based on experience, education and training.
The NCTTP written examination consists of 125 multiple-choice, objective questions with a total testing time of two hours.
Any candidate taking the NCTTP examination specifically for a NCTTP national certificate must be approved by NAADAC prior to registering for the test. First, a candidate must submit a NCTTP application to prove that he or she meets the eligibility criteria for the national certificate. Once approved, NAADAC will send you a code and link to take the NCTTP examination at a time and location of your choosing. The candidate will pay for testing fee at the time of registering for the test. Please note that the $150 NCTTP test fee is separate from the $150 NCTTP application fee. The $150 NCTTP test fee must be paid directly to the testing company.
Once NAADAC has been notified by the testing company of the candidate’s passing score, NAADAC will send the candidate his or her NCTTP certificate. If a candidate does not pass the examination, NAADAC will keep his or her application open for a period of one year from the date of approval. Candidates may take the examination up to three times in a year, with a minimum of one month between examination dates. If a passing test score is not achieved within one year from the application approval date, the candidate will need to submit a new application for approval and pay a new $150 application fee.
The NCTTP examination is available at a date and location convenient for you!
Locate a Testing Center in Your Area