Free NAADAC Webinar
A Recorded Webinar
As of January 2023, registration and CE quiz and Certificate access for the NAADAC Free Webinar Series are available in the NAADAC Education Center
. Click here
to learn about the NAADAC Education Center
Recorded on October 24, 2013
Produced in partnership with the National SBIRT ATTC, NORC at the University of Chicago and The BIG Initiative
Over the past decade, the treatment of substance use disorders has entered into a new phase in which medications can play a vital role in helping someone recover. This webinar will discuss how new advancements in pharmacotherapy can help support and augment traditional evidence-based treatment practices for alcohol dependence. The presenter will discuss the current myths, opinions and biases and the environment of addiction treatment. In addition, she will outline the psychopharmacology of alcohol dependence and provide a detailed comparison of the four FDA-approved pharmacotherapies for alcohol dependence. The goal of this webinar is to bring together addiction and other helping professionals from many backgrounds to learn about medication-assisted treatment and recovery in a way that challenges ideas and perceptions and to present unbiased information that can be used to assess the best possible treatment options for clients.
As a result of participating in this webinar, you will be able to:
- debunk commonly held myths and beliefs about medication management for alcohol dependence;
- understand how alcohol dependence develops in the brain; and
- describe the differences among the four FDA-approved pharmacotherapies for alcohol dependence.
Education is FREE to all professionals
Earn 1.5 Continuing Education Hours (CEs)
To earn a CE Certificate for viewing this webinar, you must view the webinar in its entirety, pass the CE quiz, and complete the online survey evaluation.
- Upon completing the webinar, you will have access to the CE quiz within the course you are taking. Find the CE quiz in the NAADAC Education Center and click “purchase.” NAADAC members will be prompted to register for the CE quiz for free, while non-members will be prompted to pay a $20 processing fee to access the quiz.
- A score of 80% or higher is required to pass the CE quiz and access your CE certificate. You have 10 opportunities to pass the quiz. If you are unable to pass the quiz in the allocated number of tries, then you must retake the course.
- Upon passing the CE quiz, you will be required to complete the survey evaluation for the course. Once that is completed, your CE certificate will be immediately available in your account in the NAADAC Education Center to download and print. All certificates will be stored in the NAADAC Education Center under your profile name. Click here for detailed step-by-step instructions on how to access your CE quiz and download your CE certificate.
Click here for a complete list of organizations who approve NAADAC to provide continuing education hours.
This webinar is NOT eligible for ASWB ACE CE hours or NASW CE hours.
Misti Storie, MS, NCC, is the Director of Training and Professional Development for NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals. She is the Technical Writer and advisor for many of NAADAC's educational face-to-face, homestudy, webinars and online trainings on such topics as co-occurring disorders, medication-assisted treatment, Motivational Interviewing, DOT/SAP and SBIRT. She has also authored and edited the Basics of Addiction Counseling: Desk Reference and Study Guide, tenth edition and numerous articles and book chapters concerning addiction-related issues. Storie holds a Master of Science degree in Professional Counseling from Georgia State University and a Master of Science degree in Justice, Law and Society from American University.
Who Should Attend
Addiction professionals, employee assistance professionals, social workers, mental health counselors, professional counselors, psychologists, and other helping professionals that are interested in learning about addiction-related matters.
Questions or comments about NAADAC Education? Take a look at our Webinar FAQs or email NAADAC.
Click here to learn about the NAADAC Education Center.
This presentation is for individual use only and may not be reproduced without permission from NAADAC.