The William L. White Student Scholarship Award was created to promote student addiction studies research and develop the importance of student research projects in NASAC accredited programs, NAADAC approved programs in higher education, or an accredited addiction studies higher education program acknowledged by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) that provides research or education to the addiction profession. It will be awarded annually to one graduate NAADAC Student Member and one undergraduate NAADAC Student member with the best student addiction research paper on the assigned topic in that year and applied directly to the students' educational debt.
- One undergraduate student will receive $1,000
- One graduate student will receive $2,000
- Award monies will be submitted in the students’ names to their educational debtor
- Recipients will be recognized at the 2017 NAADAC Annual Conference in Denver, CO and in the Fall 2017 issue of Advances in Addiction & Recovery magazine.
- Winning research papers will be shared online.
- Must have at least one full year (fall and spring semester) of coursework remaining
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of B (2.7-3.0) or higher
- Current NAADAC Student Member
- Completed application form
- Unofficial academic transcript
- Three letters of recommendation: two letters from college/university faculty and one letter from an active NAADAC member.
- APA-formatted research paper on the following four themes:
- Recruitment of Young Professionals in the Addiction Profession
- Community Mobilization/Development for Substance Use Disorders
- Reducing Stigma and/or Discrimination
- Social Justice and Substance Use Disorders
- Graduate students must submit a 10-12 page, single-spaced research paper
- Undergraduate students must submit a 5-7 page, single-spaced research paper
|Application open for submission
|Final deadline for turning in applications
|Recipients will be notified about their scholarship award
|Awarding of Scholarship at the 2017 NAADAC Annual Conference in Denver, CO
|| Sept 25
The completed application form, academic transcript, letters of reference, and the research paper must be submitted together electronically to NAADAC at firstname.lastname@example.org, Attention: William L. White Student Scholarship by May 31, 2017.
Past Award Recipients
Research Topic: “Recovery Oriented Systems of Care: How Research is Changing the Addiction Profession”
Undergraduate Winner: Kelsey Hennig (University of South Dakota) - Download paper
Graduate Winner: Jacqlyn Stein (Grand Canyon University) - Download paper